W. Scott Lawler, PLC shares the ambition exemplified by our clients’ entrepreneurial passion and delivers valuable representation that is important for successful business organizations. We strive to always serve our clients by providing practical and creative legal counsel while assisting clients in addressing their immediate needs while planning for their future.
We advise clients in forming appropriate business entities that fit their objectives and assist them in defining the rights and relationships of owners and stockholders. For companies in other stages of the business life cycle, our group develops and implements exit strategies and handles succession planning matters.
We are experienced in negotiating, drafting and reviewing agreements of all types, including operating, shareholders, employment, independent contractor, distribution, manufacturing, licensing, outsourcing and other agreements.
Whether you are starting a business or have been in business for many years, legal issues will arise. We provide our business clients with skilled and experienced legal advice to guide you towards the successful completion of your corporate transactions.
W. Scott Lawler, PLC represents businesses of all sizes with every aspect of their operations – from the selection of the appropriate form of legal entity to dissolution, we will assist you in the resolution of your corporate issues.
Our corporate law services include, but are not limited to:
- Business formation and incorporation: We can provide you with relevant information to aid in your choice of the appropriate legal entity (LLC, S Corp, LLP) for your business. We will then help you create your new legal entity by preparing articles of incorporation, bylaws, corporate minutes, and, if applicable, an operating agreement or shareholders agreement.
- Purchase, sale or transfer of a business: Negotiation and review of contracts, purchase terms, and buy-sell agreements, and assistance with financing.
- Business formalities and maintenance: Ongoing counsel regarding stock issuance, corporate minutes, regulatory compliance, annual filings, tax planning and other aspects of business operation.
- Business transactions: Contracts, commercial agreements, employment agreements, licensing and distribution agreements, and equipment purchase or lease agreements.
- Confidentiality agreements.
- Succession Strategies: Planning for dissolution, succession or transfer of ownership stake.
Mergers and Acquisitions
We represent clients in both U.S.-based and transnational acquisitions. We are experienced in developing effective strategies designed to maximize value and position our clients as advantageously as possible in mergers and acquisitions. Our counsel is aimed at structuring the negotiations and transactions to help meet our clients’ objectives.
The recent evolution of business operations causes concern about corporate governance and such concerns are at the top of the agendas of board members, executives, shareholders and investors. We advise private businesses to formulate and implement practices and procedures to help ensure that gaps in corporate governance do not develop.
We advise our clients regarding fiduciary responsibility of directors and officers, financial reporting, management succession and compensation, board composition and structure, conflict of interest and change of control matters.
We also advise clients based in various foreign countries on corporate governance matters affecting their U.S. affiliates and operations.